Are you drinking filtered water? If not, then you have to know about the drawbacks of drinking unfiltered water. With the development of modern technology, the problem of pollution is also overwhelming over the whole globe. This has caused the major drawback of polluting the drinking water too. It has polluted to a more considerable extent than it can damage a person’s health. Most of the time, we are using filters of several countries, but in most cases, making a water filtration system at home is more convenient. For this, you have to know about how to make a water filter? This article will end up giving you a complete guide about making water filters.
What Is a Water Filter?
Filters are barriers that restrict unwanted substances to pass through. Water filters are also some kind of physical obstacles that are mainly used to remove contamination from water. Most of the people are still perplexed about water filters and water softeners, but the industries mostly use these terms. However, the functions they are performing are similar in most of the cases. The filtered water is used in almost every field of human life, either it is industrial filed or in the household.
How to Make a Water Filter? – DIY Steps
Most of the companies are producing water filter pitchers, but if you are not able to afford such expensive filters, then you can make your home water filter too. It is not a big deal at all because of the several reasons why you need a water filter at home, one of these is that much cheaper than buying some branded water filter pitchers. There are several kinds of water filters that you can make at home. Let’s discuss them one by one in detail as below.
1. Making a Biofilter
It is a kind of domestic filter that comprises three layers of different materials, including sand, gravel, and some activated charcoal. It can remove the larger particles at the top and some smaller particles at the bottom.
Materials to gather
Following are the necessary materials you need to assemble this filter:
- Hole saw
- Activated charcoal
- Plastic fittings for plumbing
- The gallon water container, having five food grades.
Follow the following steps.
- Turn the upside Fallon container.
- Cut at the top of the container so that you can pour all the materials in it.
- Make a first layer that comprises gravel, and it will keep away the debris and even animals in the water.
- Make a second layer of sand, and it will be able to filter even smaller contaminants that have passed the first layer.
- Finally, make the last layer of activated charcoal. Its purpose is to remove all the chemicals and pathogens of the present. This will cause water pure and filtered, perfect for use.
2. Making of Improvised Charcoal Filter
The instant charcoal home water filter is quite similar to the biofilters, but you are not going to use gravel here. The first item that is used for filters too here is charcoal.
Materials to gather
You need the following materials
- A piece of cloth
- A plastic bottle
Follow the following steps:
- Do as you have done all in the preparation of a biofilter.
- The only thing you have to do is to place the same right above the layer of charcoal.
- Make sure that it must be in pieces as it is the central filter system.
- The only difference here is that the water you get is not clear and is not drinkable.
- For this you have to boil water, you just have to boil the water for about three to four minutes.
- After boiling, let the water cool. It is now available for drinking.
3. Solar Water Disinfection
If you are not interested in trying such methods for filtering water, you can also utilize solar water disinfection. As the name indicates, it included an area where there is plenty of sunlight and a container full of water. A drawback related to this method is that it takes much time depending upon the source and the quality of water you are using. If the water you are using is clear, leave it for about one day, but if the water is cloudy, then leave it for about two or three days.
Benefits of Using Filtered Water
We know that the availability of clean water is becoming difficult to get day by day. Besides knowing how to make a water filter, we need some water filter guidance too. No doubt, having filtered water has many benefits. Some of them are given below.
- By using filtered water, you are not allowing contaminants to enter into your body. Thus you remain fresh and healthy.
- Using filtered water is also ecofriendly, as you are filtering your water at your own home, so there is no need to bring water bottled from the market, thus eventually producing less and less plastic waste.
- As hard water also damages your utensils and is too harmful to your health, so when you are producing soft water at home, you can have clean and damage-free tools.
- The taste of water is the most important thing. Gard water has a quite salty taste that is difficult to drink. But the water produced by water softeners has a pleasant taste which makes us drink more and more water.
- If you have installed a water filter at home not only for drinking purposes but also for the whole house use, then by getting chlorine and other chemical-free water, you can protect your hair and clothes form damage too while washing them.
- Having a water filter at home has a huge benefit to deal with the situations of emergency, such as the lack of electricity in case of having some electric water filters. Despite all such conditions, you can enjoy healthily and bacteria-free water at your home.
The importance of drinking filtered water cannot be neglected in any way. Beside loving in the poor water condition areas, you can easily enjoy filtered water at your home by learning how to make water filters. Follow the information given above in this article to enjoy the best quality water at your home. You can also know the best water softeners that are perfect for the well water here.